12 gifts we can give others on social media all year round
Here are 12 gifts we can give others on social media all year round.
1. Highlight someone else’s achievement, milestone, or success.
2. Recommend books, podcasts, or resources that have enriched your life.
3. Respond respectfully and graciously to criticism and when people express views different from yours.
4. Pause before posting something (or commenting on a post), and consider what impact this post or comment will have on others, and whether it’ll contribute something worthwhile.
5. Seek out and listen to voices that offer views and opinions that are different from yours.
6. Choose not to pigeon-hole or caricature people or movements.
7. We all get angry or offended at times on social media; choose not to post or respond out of those emotions.
8. Don’t intentionally antagonise or provoke.
9. Use social media to thank people and express gratitude.
10. Offer ideas and insights that you’re currently exploring – enjoy respectful and even vigorous discussion when it arises, and practice restraint, grace, forgiveness, and humility when people disagree.
11. Get behind a movement or group seeking to bring peace, justice, truth, and reconciliation in the world, and support them through your efforts off social media and your words on social media.
12. Take regular social media breaks, so that you can return to social media refreshed and energised to use the technology to enrich your life and the lives of others.
These are just some gifts we can offer others on social media – I’m sure there are many more.
Graham Joseph Hill
Graham Joseph Hill (PhD) is State Leader for Baptist Mission Australia (Western Australia). He was formerly the Principal of an Australian theological college and an Associate Professor at the University of Divinity, Australia. Graham is an ordained and accredited minister with the Baptist Churches of Australia. He has planted and pastored churches and been in ministry since 1988. Graham is the author or editor of 13 books. He also directs The Global Church Project. Graham writes at grahamjosephhill.com
Qualifications: Cert C&M (ACT), Cert IV WT&A (Tabor), HonsDipMin (SCD), BTheol (SCD), PG Cert TESOL (Macquarie), GradCertPS (UD), MTheol (Notre Dame), PhD (Flinders)
© 2023 All rights reserved by Graham Joseph Hill. Copying and republishing this article on other Web sites, or in any other place, without written permission is prohibited.
Buy Graham Joseph Hill's books here:
CONNECT WITH US
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL NETWORKS